Video Music – release date June 21, 2020. A concept album. The concept for this instrumental music album is that I typically started with video ideas and then created music to fit my visions. I just guessed that most people, like I do, enjoy more to actually watch instrumental music being performed rather than just hearing it. So I made one long video of the full damn album! Seven instrumental song’s videos visually morphing into each other. It was much more fun to do it this way; with the video platform as the main concept right from square one.
With these simple suggestions I want to share an attitude that can make you progress faster. Please note that this method works well also for non musicians. Even business leaders and pizza dudes/dudettes will improve!
- Play together with musicians that are more experienced and better than yourself.
- Accept difficult tasks and fulfill them! Concerts, recordings, compositions…
- Never believe that you have no inspiration! Inspiration is always there inside you. Just shut up and go find it!
- Alternate between playing different instruments.
- When you play with others, do not play what they play. Find the “holes” where you can fit something else in.
- Apply “questions and answers” attitude to your playing and composing. For example, when playing funky, do not play every note but still THINK them all. Just leave some out sonically, on your physical instrument, while you keep the groove within going.
- When playing, do not focus your listening on your own instrument but on everything around it. Ice hockey coaches call this “split vision”.
- When playing, do not concentrate only on the present moment. Try listening to the music that happens ten seconds into the future!
- Do not play your instrument – play your music!
These nine tricks have worked well for me and that’s why I’m sharing them here. What are your expriences?