With these simple suggestions I want to share an attitude that can make you progress faster. Please note that this method works well also for non musicians. Even business leaders and pizza dudes/dudettes will improve!
- Play together with musicians that are more experienced and better than yourself.
- Accept difficult tasks and fulfill them! Concerts, recordings, compositions…
- Never believe that you have no inspiration! Inspiration is always there inside you. Just shut up and go find it!
- Alternate between playing different instruments.
- When you play with others, do not play what they play. Find the “holes” where you can fit something else in.
- Apply “questions and answers” attitude to your playing and composing. For example, when playing funky, do not play every note but still THINK them all. Just leave some out sonically, on your physical instrument, while you keep the groove within going.
- When playing, do not focus your listening on your own instrument but on everything around it. Ice hockey coaches call this “split vision”.
- When playing, do not concentrate only on the present moment. Try listening to the music that happens ten seconds into the future!
- Do not play your instrument – play your music!
These nine tricks have worked well for me and that’s why I’m sharing them here. What are your expriences?